Monday, February 16, 2009

Red Carpet Watch

We're deep in the throes of awards season (my own personal favorite time of the year), and inspired by Go Fug Yourself's Fug Carpet, I want to talk about some of the vintage style we've seen so far this year.

First, at the Golden Globes on January 11, actress Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) wore a bright red vintage tulle dress:


In a sea of blacks and pastels, this color really pops, and the unique straps add a quirky, visually interesting element to this silhouette. Plus, this color is gorgeous on her, and really compliments her skin tone. Elisabeth, if you're reading this: I loved your work on The West Wing. Would you mind hooking me up with this dress? Keep in touch.

Also at the Golden Globes, Heidi Klum wore vintage Galanos:

This is classic Heidi -- cute, whimsical, and just short enough to show off those killer legs. I love the flower, which the petals of the skirt echo nicely. Not too crazy about the detailing on the fabric (kind of resembles scales), but overall this is a fun look.

At the Screen Actors Guild awards on January 25, Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) wore a Chanel 1980s couture dress from RARE Vintage:

This is simple and elegant. But while I'm usually a sucker for classic black and white looks, this one strikes me as a tad boring. It looks great on her, but if she was going to wear vintage, I would have liked to have seen her take more of a risk.

And speaking of risk-taking, we come to our final look, from Thandie Newton at the BAFTAs on February 8:


This dress has been pretty polarizing, but I have to say, I really like it. Maybe it's a bit long, but overall, I think Thandie wears it well -- she owns this look, no doubt about it. I love the black and gold contrast, and the ribbon detailing on the tulle gives the dress a funky texture. The bodice is cute and flirty, and the full skirt gives Thandie some flattering curves (something she could use more of -- this woman is SKINNY).

So far the vintage forecast has been mostly sunny. Check back in next Monday for the next installment of Red Carpet Watch, when I discuss the Holy Grail of awards shows, the Oscars. Bring your A-games, A-list-ers.

(Thanks to Debutante Clothing, RARE Vintage, and Popsugar for the photos.)

No comments:

Post a Comment