Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Red Carpet Classics: Julia Roberts

I was hoping there would be some more vintage dresses for me to comment on after Sunday's ceremony, but since there was only one gown, I figured I would discuss my favorite vintage looks from years past. And there's no better example to kick off this post than Julia Robert's vintage Valentino gown worn to the 2001 Academy Awards:

Roberts deserevedly took home the Best Actress trophy for her titular role in Erin Brockovich, but with this dress she also earned herself a spot on many all-time best-of red carpet lists. This dress is a classic, without a doubt.

The black and white color scheme is simple yet elegant, and the contrast created by the white detailing adds an extra layer of visual interest. The V neckline that continues as a single line down the front elongates her form, and helps the eye travel down to the rest of her dress. The train is extravagent without being ostentatious. The netting adds a softness to this look, and ties the dress together with its presence on both the train and the bodice.

This is the type of dress that little girls dream of being able to wear one day, and even though I wasn't exactly a little girl when I first saw it, I can't deny that I envisioned myself in her shoes (and dress) on that Oscar stage back in 2001. Mostly so I could make this face:


(Thanks to People and L.A. Splash for the photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment