Wednesday, March 25, 2009

retro gone wrong: missing the target

It's been a couple weeks, and I know you've missed me. So what better way to get things started again than another edition of Retro Gone Wrong?

This week's winner (loser?), I am sad to report, is Target, the discount store where dreams are made. And if you happen to have a wicked '80s/early '90s fetish, then your dreams are most definitely about to come true. For the rest of us, not so much.

Found in the women's department at the store in Fayetteville, a cast-off from Madonna's "Like a Virgin" days:


Available in magenta and black, this lace scoop neck tee is an item I probably would have coveted circa 1994. Fifteen years later, not so much. Unless you are living in a material world (and, incidentally, are a material girl), you should probably avoid this look at all costs.

And, wouldn't you know, what was directly behind this lace montrosity on the rack? Why, bleach tie-dyed leggings, of course!


I mean, clearly, what with the recent legging trend not being horrid enough, why not throw some bleach on those puppies and make things more interesting? Pair them with this lace shirt and you've got a look that will definitely turn heads (and maybe even blind a few people with its garishness, too).

And finally, no trip to Target would be complete without perusing the accessories aisle, where one can find day-glow knockoffs of one of the 1980s' most treasured fads: Wayfarer sunglasses.


Granted, I actually kind of like these glasses. I could never pull them off (as evidenced by the multiple pairs I tried on and subsequently took off in shame), and some people do look genuinely cute in them.

But methinks Target doth try too hard. Let Ray-Ban handle their second most recognizable look (after Aviators, which also look terrible on me), and leave the day-glow to professionals. These just come off looking cheap, and, my dearest Target, I think you're better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment